One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The practice of analysing and describing a complex phenomenon in terms of its simple or fundamental constituents, especially when this is said to provide a sufficient explanation.
- ‘The main enemies are psychologism, reductionism, idealism, and the distortion of the phenomena by philosophical systems.’
- ‘That does not require that in embracing naturalism one also embrace determinism, physicalism, and reductionism.’
- ‘Here the mind is not limited by any reductionism such as religion, caste, nationality etc.’
- ‘What is the significance of empiricism or reductionism?’
- ‘Her faith, however, is not a simple brand of spiritual reductionism whereupon community and congregational problems can be explained by God.’
- ‘The problem is called economic reductionism - seeing economic interests at all times and in every case as being the only phenomenon necessary to understand political decisions.’
- ‘Even those that oppose simple reductionism do not come close to Myers's ultimate hopes.’
- ‘Even for the casually religious, such seeming reductionism can rankle.’
- ‘Ayer by now thought phenomenalism was unsuccessful in this attempt, and again reductionism would not work for the future cases.’
- ‘Such reductionism is done purposefully to justify military aggression, he added.’
- ‘In contrast to reductionism, there is the view that testimony is itself a ‘basic’ source of warrant.’
- ‘Opposing either form of reductionism would be the thesis that both species of causation exist but that neither is analysable in terms of the other.’
- ‘But there is always something more to Cocteau's films than the simple reductionism of ordinary interpretation.’
- ‘This reductionism is an ideological fantasy, rather than a theoretical position resting on solid argument.’
- ‘This kind of reductionism is not very useful, and it is also politically paralysing.’
- ‘What an extraordinarily explicit statement of scientific reductionism!’
- ‘This tradition, with its suspect promise of simplicity, has a tattered reputation because of its reductionism.’
- ‘You could say this is an attack on reductionism, or on fundamentalism.’
- ‘Western philosophy today can he characterized by three things: reductionism, rationalism and a belief in progress.’
- ‘No less interesting has been the enthusiastic reception of several recent political plays that steered clear of rigid political reductionism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.