Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system of gearwheels in which the driven shaft rotates more slowly than the driving shaft.
- ‘Usually, the electric motor needs a reduction gear for maximum efficiency.’
- ‘We have shown that a V-belt can handle those torque loads when it drives a reduction gear at the crankshaft.’
- ‘There are two reduction gears with pitch actuators, driving two independent shafts with controllable pitch propellers.’
- ‘The engine had a spur reduction gear which meant that the entire engine installation was shorter while having a higher thrust line.’
- ‘The motors are fitted with a two-speed reduction gear.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.