Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system of gearwheels in which the driven shaft rotates more slowly than the driving shaft.
- ‘We have shown that a V-belt can handle those torque loads when it drives a reduction gear at the crankshaft.’
- ‘Usually, the electric motor needs a reduction gear for maximum efficiency.’
- ‘The motors are fitted with a two-speed reduction gear.’
- ‘The engine had a spur reduction gear which meant that the entire engine installation was shorter while having a higher thrust line.’
- ‘There are two reduction gears with pitch actuators, driving two independent shafts with controllable pitch propellers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.