One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A method of proving the falsity of a premise by showing that its logical consequence is absurd or contradictory.‘the argument is a reductio ad absurdum of utilitarianism’
- ‘Opposition to stem-cell research is the reductio ad absurdum of the right-to-life argument.’
- ‘Indeed, this is going to be something of a reductio ad absurdum.’
- ‘It's an entertaining reductio ad absurdum against those who complain about the unfairness of low-cost production by foreigners.’
- ‘The argument that says no individual has power leads to a reductio ad absurdum.’
- ‘For some reason, this strikes me as the reductio ad absurdum of the whole project.’
Latin, literally ‘reduction to the absurd’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.