One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A method of proving the falsity of a premise by showing that its logical consequence is absurd or contradictory.‘the argument is a reductio ad absurdum of utilitarianism’
- ‘For some reason, this strikes me as the reductio ad absurdum of the whole project.’
- ‘It's an entertaining reductio ad absurdum against those who complain about the unfairness of low-cost production by foreigners.’
- ‘Indeed, this is going to be something of a reductio ad absurdum.’
- ‘The argument that says no individual has power leads to a reductio ad absurdum.’
- ‘Opposition to stem-cell research is the reductio ad absurdum of the right-to-life argument.’
Latin, literally ‘reduction to the absurd’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.