[usually with modifier] An enzyme which promotes the chemical reduction of a specified substance.
- ‘The polyol pathway uses the enzyme aldose reductase to convert glucose to sorbitol.’
- ‘The enzymatic mechanism of detoxification involves dehydroascorbate reductase, glutathione reductase and other enzymes.’
- ‘These enzymes are thioredoxin reductase and glutathione reductase respectively.’
- ‘Sulphate reduction is initiated and carried out by the enzyme APS reductase in leaf and root plastids.’
- ‘Nitrate reduction is catalysed by nitrate reductase and nitrite reductase.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.