Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance that tends to bring about reduction by being oxidized and losing electrons.
- ‘Typically, hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizing and reducing agent.’
- ‘In the case of making iron in a blast furnace, the carbon is added as coke, which is converted into carbon monoxide - the actual reducing agent.’
- ‘Lithium aluminum hydride is an important reducing agent in organic chemistry.’
- ‘It can react either as an oxidant or a reducing agent, is a very good nucleophile, and is a base that can be protonated.’
- ‘The reducing agent in the reaction is zinc that is oxidized by donating two electrons to the copper ions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.