One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large Eurasian sandpiper with long red legs and brown, grey, or blackish plumage.
Genus Tringa, family Scolopacidae: two species, in particular T. totanus
- ‘When I came in April, the whimbrel, a summer migrant, had arrived to join the resident curlews, redshanks and oystercatchers.’
- ‘Bird species to be seen include ringed plover, oystercatcher, redshank and little grebe.’
- ‘The animals eat the eggs of wading birds including dunlin, lapwing, redshank and snipe.’
- ‘Their farm is a haven for black grouse, lapwing, yellow wagtail, redshank, snipe and golden plover.’
- ‘He has 120 breeding pairs of waders on his land, including lapwings, curlews and redshanks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.