Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Display (something) again or differently.‘after decades in storage, the collection is now rehoused and redisplayed’
- ‘The comments already written still exist, and I can redisplay them.’
- ‘Mr Hall was full of praise for the National Trust for initiating the project, which will see a redisplayed and reinterpreted Wordsworth House reopen to the public next month.’
- ‘The current bid aims to restore the main hall and ancillary buildings and redisplay the museum's unique social history collections.’
- ‘The third phase of an eight year, 3.75 million pound project to redisplay the V&A's silver collection opens today.’
- ‘She said: ‘Ornamental objects have indeed been redisplayed in Frogmore House, which is open to the public during the summer months.’’
- ‘By moving Othello from the visual medium of cinema to the visual space of the art gallery, Wilson redisplays Othello as a different kind of spectacle - the exhibition object.’
- ‘The house will be redecorated, rewired and redisplayed, producing a lifelike Georgian home in which visitors will experience the sights, sounds and smells of domestic life in Wordsworth's day.’
- ‘The opportunity to redisplay the domestic metalware collections in London's Victoria and Albert Museum has led to a reassessment of the museum's historical lighting equipment.’
- ‘Reynolds was also responsible for redisplaying the museum's portrait miniatures.’
- ‘O'Neill said: ‘The People's Palace was last redisplayed in 1998.’’
- ‘A programmer can find new ways for data from one of these devices to be manipulated and then played, used, edited, redisplayed etc etc on any of these devices.’
- ‘Data for the ric - 8 containing strains are redisplayed on a log scale in the graph to the right.’
- ‘Maybe it was just as well that we kept the nicer cards for redisplay because no snow made its appearance in the Christmases of my youth.’
- ‘A new lighting rig will be installed with new wall coverings and a refurbished floor, while the permanent collection of paintings will be redisplayed in the rest of the gallery.’
- ‘The nine-month refurbishment has involved a complete redecoration and redisplaying of works, and also the creation of a new area called The Studio, to be used for educational activities and events.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.