Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A bright red edible marine fish.See also nannygai
- ‘I arrived at Mosquito Lagoon to fish for the redfish.’
- ‘Species that are usually caught near the ocean's bottom, including cod, haddock, pollock, redfish, halibut, flounder, and other species.’
- ‘I have just returned from the United States where I have been fishing for striper bass, redfish, seatrout and Spanish mackerel.’
- ‘The saltwater river harbors prized snook, trout, largemouth bass, redfish, and even tarpon.’
- ‘We caught 29 redfish my first day and 19 the second day.’
2British A male salmon in the spawning season.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.