Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A bright red edible marine fish, in particular.→ nannygai
- ‘The saltwater river harbors prized snook, trout, largemouth bass, redfish, and even tarpon.’
- ‘I arrived at Mosquito Lagoon to fish for the redfish.’
- ‘Species that are usually caught near the ocean's bottom, including cod, haddock, pollock, redfish, halibut, flounder, and other species.’
- ‘I have just returned from the United States where I have been fishing for striper bass, redfish, seatrout and Spanish mackerel.’
- ‘We caught 29 redfish my first day and 19 the second day.’
2British A male salmon in the spawning season.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.