Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Give (someone or something) a different official name, description, or title.‘the territories have been redesignated as national parks’
- ‘In October 1956, the unit reorganized and was redesignated the 309th ASA Battalion.’
- ‘A university without chemistry should be stripped of the title and redesignated a liberal arts college, which is all it is.’
- ‘With adjustable sights, the pistol is redesignated PT 99.’
- ‘Residents have failed several times to get Bexley Council to redesignate the site.’
- ‘Nine Air Force Reserve Command installations were redesignated joint bases or stations this summer to reflect the multi-service use of the facilities.’
- ‘In December 1944 the Germans redesignated Bergen-Belsen a concentration camp.’
- ‘The order still stands but has been reduced in extent as various lands have been redesignated according to agreements with First Nations.’
- ‘More recently, it has been redesignated Headquarters Special Forces with all British special forces, including those of the Royal Marines, placed under it.’
- ‘She said they misled the parish council into believing the site had been redesignated from countryside to housing.’
- ‘Just for the record, by profession I was a secretary for the Society of Chiropodists for 25 years, after which they redesignated the post chief executive.’
- ‘The unit was redesignated the 917th Tactical Fighter Group on 1 October 1973.’
- ‘Now it is seeking crucial planning permission to redesignate its six acres from employment to housing.’
- ‘The Maryland State Guard was redesignated the Maryland Defense Force in September 1988 to differentiate the force from the National Guard.’
- ‘In each year since the California program had been in place, less than 10 percent of students were redesignated as proficient in English, according to the state department of education.’
- ‘The proposed site, which is near to Beckfoot School, was formerly green belt until an inspector redesignated it.’
- ‘In 1952 the unit moved its base of operations to Alcala de Henares, where it was once again redesignated.’
- ‘During the reorganization of the Army division, the armored division combat commands A, B and C were redesignated as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Brigades.’
- ‘In Bolivia Indians have been expelled from their traditional territories when these have been redesignated as national parks.’
- ‘After the Second World War, machine guns were no longer consided a specialist weapon, and the battalions were redesignated and retasked.’
- ‘With the addition of these packages, the Air Force redesignated the radars.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.