Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Apply paint or wallpaper in (a room or building) again, typically differently.‘you will have to redecorate the room afterwards’no object ‘burger bars have been redecorating with pastel colours’
renovate, refurbish, recondition, rehabilitate, rebuild, reconstruct, overhaul, make overView synonyms
- ‘Once you see the completed bathroom you won't believe it took you so long to decide to redecorate the room.’
- ‘A closet is such a tiny space, you'd almost think redoing it wouldn't take as long as redecorating a major room.’
- ‘The ground floor of the building was redecorated during the closed winter months, the upper gallery having been refurbished last year.’
- ‘Volunteers have been working round the clock to repair and redecorate the building so the nursery will open as scheduled.’
- ‘As we we'd been planning to redecorate the family room some time this year I said she might as well take the two sofas.’
- ‘We'll give you a credit card and tomorrow you and Lucy can go shopping to redecorate your room!’
- ‘I am currently renovating and redecorating a house.’
- ‘The couple, who are to marry in April, also said the crew were more interested in filming the team messing around than actually redecorating the room.’
- ‘They had spent the morning redecorating a room, then headed into town for some shopping.’
- ‘I vividly remember when my mother decided to redecorate our living room.’
- ‘Framed art is a quick and easy solution to redecorating a room, for two reasons.’
- ‘Anyone who has ever packed away their worldly possessions to redecorate a room will know what a time-consuming and stressful experience it can be.’
- ‘Armed with $1,000, a designer and a carpenter, two sets of neighbours swap homes and redecorate one room in each other's place.’
- ‘Many consumers are in the process of buying a new home or remodeling and redecorating their existing home.’
- ‘I have recently redecorated my sitting room and, since it is quite small, I removed the old curtains and replaced them with vertical blinds.’
- ‘If you are redecorating a room that is covered in wallpaper, it is usually necessary to remove the old wallpaper.’
- ‘That was where she'd hide, but first she wanted to redecorate the room.’
- ‘For a while, he toyed with the idea of offering to redecorate the entire room.’
- ‘I've redecorated the sitting room, and I did it all in one big hit, over the last two days.’
- ‘While redecorating the front room he discovered the names of previous occupants underneath the wallpaper and etched on to the plaster.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.