Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small tree squirrel with a reddish coat.
- ‘Mostly it consists of sandy woodland and pristine marshes, full of red squirrels and sika deer.’
- ‘It is a haven for bird life and other wildlife - roe deer and red squirrels can often be spotted from the house.’
- ‘The red squirrel is a noisy and common woodlot resident in Nova Scotia.’
- ‘Someone told me there that all your native red squirrels had almost gone, replaced by more aggressive grey squirrels.’
- ‘As for squirrels, we have red squirrels round here, which are an endangered species.’
- ‘There are lots of birds, chipmunks, red squirrels, snakes and there was even a tree frog at our site.’
- ‘The story had been that these big, bulky gray squirrels simply bullied the red squirrels.’
- ‘A mixture of alder, cherry, oak and other native species has attracted red squirrels as well as roe deer, hares and kingfishers.’
- ‘Foxes, red squirrels, badgers, hares, otters, Scottish wild cats, seals and bottle-nose dolphins can be seen if you have the dedication to find them.’
- ‘Canadian red squirrels are reproducing earlier in the year.’
- ‘They are also prime real estate for red squirrels, bushy-tailed wood rats, northern goshawks, great gray owls, and long-eared owls.’
- ‘Unfortunately, their advance has caused the decline of Britain's native red squirrels, all but eliminating them in the south of England.’
- ‘There, the red squirrels faced pressures from their larger cousins - introduced American grey squirrels - and their numbers dwindled.’
- ‘However, there are also still huge problems ahead, such as the fate of the red squirrel and Scottish wildcat.’
- ‘The cats can and do eat red squirrels, ground squirrels, and grouse, but an abundance of hares is lynx heaven.’
- ‘Although we applaud the current conservation efforts to build refuges for the red squirrels, we think these may not be enough.’
- ‘I do catch glimpses of red squirrels and deer, however, but I fare much better with the flora.’
- ‘A majority of the squirrels that were brought to the Taos were Eurasian red squirrels.’
- ‘If red squirrels are to survive in the Lake District, grey squirrel control will have to continue forever.’
- ‘Deer mice and red squirrels were photographed at plots of each nest-stratum treatment.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.