One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The displacement of spectral lines towards longer wavelengths (the red end of the spectrum) in radiation from distant galaxies and celestial objects. This is interpreted as a Doppler shift which is proportional to the velocity of recession and thus to distance.Compare with blue shift
- ‘This effect is known as the gravitational red shift.’
- ‘Most cosmologists - with the interesting exception of Hubble himself - came to the immediate conclusion that the red shift could only mean that the universe was expanding.’
- ‘In 1929 Edwin Hubble's systematic observations of other galaxies confirmed the red shift.’
- ‘Does a red shift really mean an expanding universe?’
- ‘This red shift should result in different relative emissions at different wavelengths.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.