One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The emblem of Lancashire or the Lancastrians.
- ‘After the Wars Of The Roses in 1455, Yorkshire changed its rose to white and stood it on its point therefore forming a ‘Y’ as opposed to the red rose of Lancashire.’
- ‘After all, Plantlife's campaign had seen the red rose nominated as Lancashire's floral symbol while Yorkshire was saddled with the shy and retiring harebell.’
- ‘Lancashire's red rose has been dropped from public buildings in a border town - because locals who consider themselves Yorkshire folk keep stealing them!’
- ‘The troops named the baby Rose after the red rose of the Lancashire regiment.’
- ‘The betrothal took place in Rennes Cathedral in December 1483 and by the time the marriage took place after Bosworth in 1485 Henry was using the red rose of Lancaster as his badge.’
- ‘And they were quick to defend the noble white rose yesterday, especially after it was revealed voters had chosen to leave rival Lancastrians with their red rose.’
- ‘In Lancashire it's a choice between the red rose and Bee orchid.’
- ‘The red rose of Lancashire has faded to the white rose of Yorkshire on the sign on the southbound carriageway on the Cumbria Lancs border.’
2The symbol of the British Labour Party.
- ‘A Liberal Democrat council has banned its staff from wearing red roses on St George's Day.’
- ‘Cast your mind back to 2 May 1997, with Cherie in a nightdress, answering the door for a bouquet of election victory red roses, and caught in that bleary state by waiting photographers.’
- ‘The handsome dust jacket depicts a red rose in full bloom, symbol of the British Labour Party, superimposed on the clock face of Big Ben.’
- ‘Thus the adoption by the Labour Party of the red rose would not fall foul of this section.’
- ‘By his own admission, his love was more akin to Labour's red, red rose - but Robert Burns is to be adopted by the Scottish Liberal Democrats.’
- ‘For the rest of the visit, the Duke unwittingly wore the Labour red rose!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.