Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting an animal having a coat that consists of bay or chestnut mixed with white or grey.
- ‘Amy rode a red roan mare, while Sarah had chosen the dark chestnut gelding.’
- ‘Life was great for this little red roan stallion.’
- ‘She gave the red roan horse one last pat on the neck before she swiftly gave the rusted iron gate a solid kick that caused it to screech open.’
- ‘Rhylow was a large red roan gelding who was actually trained as a warhorse.’
- ‘Three suitors had kissed it, mounted their red roan steeds and ridden away.’
A red roan animal.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.