Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ripe red fruit of a sweet pepper.
- ‘These were placed atop new potatoes, cauliflower, red peppers, zucchini and julienned carrots.’
- ‘The cholesterol-lowering diet includes vegetables such as broccoli and red peppers; soymilk and soy sausages; oat bran cereal and bread; and fruits and nuts.’
- ‘Cold strips of grilled beef mingle with greens, julienned yellow and red peppers, all tossed together with a citrusy vinaigrette.’
- ‘If I'm trying to be healthy, then I like an omelet with tomatoes, mushrooms, green and red peppers, and with lots of mozzarella cheese.’
- ‘Roast whole heads of garlic until soft, and spread on warm baguette slices or purée roasted red peppers with garlic for a fast sauce.’
- ‘Foods rich in vitamin C include citrus fruits, tomatoes, red peppers and broccoli.’
- ‘A side of lifeless green peas was kicked up by the addition of fresh carrots, celery and red peppers.’
- ‘Add the broccoli florets and the red peppers, and sauté for two minutes.’
- ‘The spinach lasagna, on the other hand, was made up of firm layers of green pasta, grilled zucchini and red peppers, fragrant chicken and mozzarella.’
- ‘Eggplant, zucchini, roasted red peppers, olives and lettuce are layered on focaccia to create an eye-rollingly good combination.’
- ‘Sweetcorn, red peppers, nectarines, papaya and honeydew melon are good sources.’
- ‘Rich sources are citrus fruits, kiwi fruits, strawberries, blackcurrants, kale, red peppers, watercress, spinach and carrots.’
- ‘Roasted red peppers have become so popular that they have practically become their own type of pepper.’
- ‘Eat more tomatoes, red peppers and strawberries.’
- ‘Juice the yellow pepper, then the red pepper with the chilli.’
- ‘Arrange alternating layers of cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, red peppers, reserved mushrooms, and spinach, making sure to season each layer.’
- ‘Add the red peppers and yellow peppers and sauté until tender, about five minutes.’
- ‘Nutritionally, vitamin A is found in foods like broccoli, cantaloupe, cod, red peppers, spinach and watercress.’
- ‘Once that's done you'll need to take six green peppers, or red peppers, or a pretty mixture, it really doesn't matter.’
- ‘A great steak sandwich combines thinly cut steak, roasted red peppers, onions and spicy mayonnaise between slices of supple sourdough.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.