One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounAustralian, NZ
Red wine of inferior quality.‘he was huddled in a corner, a lone bottle of red ned for company’
- ‘“I've built up a thirst and a half. Could I have a tumbler of red Ned?”’
- ‘During a break he opened his capacious picnic hamper and produced a bottle of Red Ned.’
- ‘In rejoicing at his freedom, he had quaffed half a bottle of red ned.’
- ‘He sold everything, from horseshoes to the odd bottle of red Ned.’
- ‘I could get us up a bottle of Red Ned, a drop of Muscat?’
Early 20th century: rhyming reduplication, possibly influenced by red biddy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.