Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Meat that is red when raw, for example beef or lamb.Often contrasted with white meat
- ‘As a result, I am generally relaxed about the presence of the odd bit of red meat in the diet.’
- ‘As people turn away from red meat in their droves, chicken sales have soared.’
- ‘Fresh or tinned fish, chicken, lean, red meat, eggs and seafood are all highly energising foods.’
- ‘They also found that patients who consumed high levels of red meat combined with other meat products had a similar risk.’
- ‘I very occasionally eat chicken but I would never touch red meat.’
- ‘Foods to avoid include red meat, particularly game, offal, beef, pork and lamb.’
- ‘Eat more protein such as fish, chicken, lean red meat and low-fat cheese such as cottage cheese.’
- ‘She eats a lot of fruits and vegetables, but also red meat, poultry and fish from time to time.’
- ‘They usually have three main daily meals, and staples include red meat and potatoes.’
- ‘An excellent wine for that backyard barbecue, especially if you're cooking red meat.’
- ‘For example, add lean cuts of red meat or dark poultry to your meals on a regular basis.’
- ‘I'm quite health conscious, so I only eat red meat once or twice a month, although I never deprive myself.’
- ‘This recipe is easier than one would think, and would work well with any red meat.’
- ‘Venison is the low-cholesterol answer to those who love red meat but have to watch their animal fat intake.’
- ‘I can't remember the last time I ate red meat either; it just doesn't appeal to me.’
- ‘This has meant, for many, an end to pleasures such as butter, salt, fried food, red meat, peanuts, and pork pies.’
- ‘I would also be happy to drink this with simple grilled red meats such as steak, or lamb chops.’
- ‘During the day of a show I eat protein, chicken or fish salad, never red meat because it doesn't agree with me.’
- ‘Natural sources of iron include red meat, oatmeal, prunes, nuts and seeds, legumes and dried fruit.’
- ‘If you feel in need of some protein, choose bland, rather than oily, fish, and chicken in preference to red meat.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.