One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bird of prey with reddish-brown plumage and a forked tail, found chiefly in Europe.
Milvus milvus, family Accipitridae
- ‘As well as 419 pairs of golden eagles, osprey numbers are escalating, as are red kites, white-tailed sea eagles and peregrine falcons.’
- ‘Experts on the red kite - a spectacular bird with a wingspan of up to 6ft - say it is essentially a scavenger which feeds on carrion rather than attacking sheep or game birds.’
- ‘The list contains red kites, golden eagles, ospreys, goshawks and even domestic cats.’
- ‘In Germany, studies show turbines have killed dozens of rare red kites.’
- ‘Other birds to benefit nationally include song thrushes, red kites, skylarks and nightjars.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.