One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cardinal's hat, especially as the symbol of a cardinal's office.
- ‘This he made abundantly clear in the allocution he delivered in Rome on May 12, 1879, on the occasion of receiving the cardinal's red hat from Pope Leo XIII.’
- ‘After they accept the cardinals' traditional red hats in a February 21 ceremony, the number of electors, who must be under 80 years of age, will be 135.’
- ‘Ratzinger was understood to be behind the Pope's decision to refuse a red hat to Lehmann on four separate occasions.’
- ‘His appointment as Cardinal also came as a surprise to many, breaking a century-old tradition of the red hat going to Armagh.’
- ‘Cardinal Winning gained his red hat because he operated well within the conservative parameters of the present Pope.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.