One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A common fox with a reddish coat, native to both Eurasia and North America and living from the Arctic tundra to the centres of cities.
- ‘Whitetail deer, coyote, red fox, snowshoe hare and raccoon often make appearances.’
- ‘Other predators are red foxes, coyotes, wolves, bear, mountain lions, lynx, bobcats, eagles, and great horned owls.’
- ‘The absence of the red fox in Tasmania is the main reason that the island has been something of a Noah's Ark for Australian animals.’
- ‘In Wapusk you could see an Arctic fox and a red fox, a ptarmigan and a spruce grouse, a caribou and a wolf, a polar bear and even the odd grizzly - all in one day.’
- ‘It is believed that predation by non-native red foxes was the primary reason for the extinction of the dusky pademelon on mainland Australia.’
- ‘Management of piping plovers includes control of predators such as red foxes, raccoons, gulls, and crows.’
- ‘The red fox has become a familiar sight in the city since arriving from the English countryside, where it has traditionally been shot as vermin or chased by hunters and packs of hounds.’
- ‘Once widespread, they have been reduced to few isolated populations by habitat destruction and predation by the introduced red fox.’
- ‘Tammars survived the introduction of dingoes and, more recently, red foxes.’
- ‘Juliann conducted her own research on the area's arctic and red foxes to find out the details of their diets.’
- ‘The social system of the red fox has, therefore, been viewed as one potential step in the evolutionary pathway to more complex societies.’
- ‘The predator species with the largest home ranges are red fox, pine marten, and raven.’
- ‘The red fox is one of many animals that are becoming increasingly common, even in urban areas, at the expense of locally unique species, experts say.’
- ‘Hunting provided most food: deer, wild cattle, elk, wild pig, pine martens, red fox, and beavers.’
- ‘There are different foxes, there's the gray fox, the red fox, the arctic fox.’
- ‘In North America, the boreal forest is the land of the snowshoe hare and its predators - coyote, red fox, lynx, and great horned owl.’
- ‘Early morning is a great time to observe wildlife, and very soon we saw moose, bald eagles, red foxes, and ptarmigan.’
- ‘Iowa Staters are used to seeing rabbits, squirrels and ground squirrels scampering around campus, but recent sightings of a red fox have caught some by surprise.’
- ‘You're likely to come across red fox, river otter, geese, and swans.’
- ‘Adult red foxes may also be attacked by coyotes, wolves, or other predators, but this is rarely in order to eat them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.