Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A common fox with a reddish coat, native to both Eurasia and North America and living from the Arctic tundra to the centres of cities.
- ‘There are different foxes, there's the gray fox, the red fox, the arctic fox.’
- ‘It is believed that predation by non-native red foxes was the primary reason for the extinction of the dusky pademelon on mainland Australia.’
- ‘Hunting provided most food: deer, wild cattle, elk, wild pig, pine martens, red fox, and beavers.’
- ‘Other predators are red foxes, coyotes, wolves, bear, mountain lions, lynx, bobcats, eagles, and great horned owls.’
- ‘In Wapusk you could see an Arctic fox and a red fox, a ptarmigan and a spruce grouse, a caribou and a wolf, a polar bear and even the odd grizzly - all in one day.’
- ‘Management of piping plovers includes control of predators such as red foxes, raccoons, gulls, and crows.’
- ‘The red fox is one of many animals that are becoming increasingly common, even in urban areas, at the expense of locally unique species, experts say.’
- ‘You're likely to come across red fox, river otter, geese, and swans.’
- ‘The absence of the red fox in Tasmania is the main reason that the island has been something of a Noah's Ark for Australian animals.’
- ‘Adult red foxes may also be attacked by coyotes, wolves, or other predators, but this is rarely in order to eat them.’
- ‘Juliann conducted her own research on the area's arctic and red foxes to find out the details of their diets.’
- ‘The predator species with the largest home ranges are red fox, pine marten, and raven.’
- ‘In North America, the boreal forest is the land of the snowshoe hare and its predators - coyote, red fox, lynx, and great horned owl.’
- ‘Once widespread, they have been reduced to few isolated populations by habitat destruction and predation by the introduced red fox.’
- ‘Iowa Staters are used to seeing rabbits, squirrels and ground squirrels scampering around campus, but recent sightings of a red fox have caught some by surprise.’
- ‘Whitetail deer, coyote, red fox, snowshoe hare and raccoon often make appearances.’
- ‘The red fox has become a familiar sight in the city since arriving from the English countryside, where it has traditionally been shot as vermin or chased by hunters and packs of hounds.’
- ‘Early morning is a great time to observe wildlife, and very soon we saw moose, bald eagles, red foxes, and ptarmigan.’
- ‘Tammars survived the introduction of dingoes and, more recently, red foxes.’
- ‘The social system of the red fox has, therefore, been viewed as one potential step in the evolutionary pathway to more complex societies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.