One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deer with a rich red-brown summer coat that turns dull brownish-grey in winter, the male having large branched antlers. It is native to North America, Eurasia, and North Africa.
Cervus elaphus, family Cervidae. Compare with wapiti
- ‘They preyed on roe deer, red deer, and wild boar, but were also much loathed and dreaded for their depredations against livestock, especially sheep.’
- ‘During the past 10 years, an average of 35 red deer, 50 roe deer, and 100 wild boar were hunted annually.’
- ‘New tools and weapons were invented to hunt the animals of the forests such as red deer, roe deer, wild boar, and cattle.’
- ‘My first encounter with a rare herd of red deer wintering in the Austrian Alps came after a four-hour ascent on skis through snowed-in forests and steep terrain.’
- ‘Bison, mammoths, red deer, and other animals moved south, and the Neandertals and early humans followed them.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.