Either of two North American coniferous trees with reddish-brown bark.
- ‘Fortunately there are plenty of other deck-worthy trees in the forest, among them teak, Western red cedar, redwood, and mahogany.’
- ‘Scattered eastern red cedar are the only trees within the glade communities.’
- ‘They passed through stands of red cedar and hemlock trees so tall and so ancient that the sunlight rarely touched the forest floor.’
- ‘In western Washington, they typically roost in western hemlock and western red cedar.’
- ‘The gardens have very successfully combined Japanese species such as azaleas, maples and cherry trees with native plants such as Canadian maples and red cedars.’