Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove further or different material from (a film or screenplay)‘director Tony Scott recut several key scenes’
- ‘I'm actually looking forward to watching it, since it's been recut and improved.’
- ‘Unfortunately, after he shot and delivered his film, Artisan marketing decided they needed more ‘traditional’ horror elements and reshot and recut the film.’
- ‘They extensively recut it and removed several minutes of footage.’
- ‘I'm recutting the show for syndication, and I'm including that back story because I want it to be very clear that this was Jack's issue with these two women.’
- ‘I wonder if the film has been recut yet again for DVD release, as the running time is only 95 minutes on the disc.’
- ‘The script is too safe, and the studio forced the movie to be recut according to test screenings.’
- ‘Now, the film has been recut to include 11 minutes of footage which make it more spiritual and uplifting, in accordance with the wishes of Blatty.’
- ‘It lost money despite the studio's efforts to recut the film so as to overcome aspects of it that had caused preview audiences to reject Huston's original version.’
- ‘To make matters even worse, the films were recut and retitled nearly every time they were released for exhibition in a new country.’
- ‘Apparently, the film has been recut for its wide release, with the better parts of Mr. Brown's performance left behind.’
- ‘The 30-minute program from the primary was recut and broadcast, incorporating much of the information in the book.’
- ‘Somewhere, in an alternate universe, the film is drastically recut.’
- ‘So they recut it, so people wouldn't scream in horror!’
- ‘Viewers didn't know it, but Anne was as formidable a presence behind the screens as she was on it, changing scripts and recutting films until she was satisfied.’
- ‘We could have tried to recut it and made it more generic, but we liked it and felt it could work.’
- ‘That's the 90-minute version that the studio recut against Gilliam's wishes.’
- ‘The battle sequences are so obscured by the editing - I believe the film was recut for classification purposes - that you haven't a clue who's doing what to whom.’
- ‘The original episodes have been recut to feature longer musical performances, which is a welcome addition.’
- ‘But all of the guitar, bass and drum parts were recut using the original demos as a guide and template.’
- ‘My films several times were recut after I finished them, and, needless to say, I thought, for the worse.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.