One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The larger feathers in a bird's tail, used for steering in flight.Compare with remiges
plume, quillView synonyms
- ‘That scheduling results in little overlap between molt of rectrices and outer primaries, both of which are important to landing.’
- ‘Most birds showed signs of moderate to heavy wear of the secondary coverts and rectrices.’
- ‘We also removed the central rectrix from the right side of the tail of each adult to determine feather growth rate.’
- ‘I plucked the outer right rectrix (tail feather), thereby inducing the growth of a replacement.’
- ‘Age determination was based on the shape of rectrices.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin, feminine plural of rector ‘ruler’ (see rector).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.