Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A prolapse of the wall between the rectum and the vagina.
- ‘An enterocele differs from a rectocele in that it is a true hernia, lined by peritoneum and usually containing small bowel.’
- ‘Videodefecography is specifically designed to evaluate evacuatory disorders such as rectal prolapse and rectocele.’
- ‘Pelvic organ prolapse (cystocele, rectocele, and uterine prolapse) and anal incontinence are also troublesome sequelae of vaginal delivery.’
- ‘A rectocele can cause fullness in the rectum, giving the patient a similar sensation to an internal hemorrhoid.’
- ‘Women with poor vaginal tone, a shallow vaginal shelf, rectocele, or cystocele may not be able to use the device effectively.’
Mid 19th century: from rectum + -cele.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.