Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A prolapse of the wall between the rectum and the vagina.
- ‘Videodefecography is specifically designed to evaluate evacuatory disorders such as rectal prolapse and rectocele.’
- ‘Pelvic organ prolapse (cystocele, rectocele, and uterine prolapse) and anal incontinence are also troublesome sequelae of vaginal delivery.’
- ‘An enterocele differs from a rectocele in that it is a true hernia, lined by peritoneum and usually containing small bowel.’
- ‘Women with poor vaginal tone, a shallow vaginal shelf, rectocele, or cystocele may not be able to use the device effectively.’
- ‘A rectocele can cause fullness in the rectum, giving the patient a similar sensation to an internal hemorrhoid.’
Mid 19th century: from rectum + -cele.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.