One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A prolapse of the wall between the rectum and the vagina.
- ‘An enterocele differs from a rectocele in that it is a true hernia, lined by peritoneum and usually containing small bowel.’
- ‘Women with poor vaginal tone, a shallow vaginal shelf, rectocele, or cystocele may not be able to use the device effectively.’
- ‘Videodefecography is specifically designed to evaluate evacuatory disorders such as rectal prolapse and rectocele.’
- ‘A rectocele can cause fullness in the rectum, giving the patient a similar sensation to an internal hemorrhoid.’
- ‘Pelvic organ prolapse (cystocele, rectocele, and uterine prolapse) and anal incontinence are also troublesome sequelae of vaginal delivery.’
Mid 19th century: from rectum + -cele.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.