One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An apparatus for reproducing sound from records, comprising a turntable that spins the record at a constant speed and a stylus that slides along in the groove and picks up the sound, together with an amplifier and a loudspeaker.
- ‘After a few more moments, the record player stopped.’
- ‘He has responded to criticisms that he is ‘amateurish’ by listing his equipment as nothing more than a record player, a sampler and a CD burner.’
- ‘Carmen moved towards the record player and gently helped the needle onto the next groove.’
- ‘Our recommendation: record your prized LPs to digital files while you still have a working record player.’
- ‘He nodded and dragged an ancient record player out from under his uncle's bed along with some records.’
- ‘Just before setting out on the drive to San Francisco for the U.S. Open, I packed my Motorola record player and Mario Lanza records.’
- ‘Connect a record player or cassette deck to your computer.’
- ‘The only medium to listen to the then alternative music was a record player or gramophone.’
- ‘Things got even worse when I let slip that we only had a mono record player.’
- ‘She was the first girl in the class to get her ears pierced, the first to own a velour tracksuit (we all lusted after it - this was 1980 after all), the first to have her own record player in her room.’
- ‘Maybe the reason for this is that the VCR is fast becoming obsolete, joining the 8-track deck and the record player in garage sales.’
- ‘An impressive record player adorned an antique sideboard and on every other available surface, Delaney saw vinyl records.’
- ‘Lewis said he always loved gadgets and at the age of eight figured out how to operate a record player.’
- ‘Our job is to troubleshoot the complex but imperfect technology that befuddle mom and dad, veterans of the rotary phone, the record player and the black-and-white cabinet television set.’
- ‘The record player blasted their favorite dancing tune through the house.’
- ‘Perhaps you'd like to transfer some of your aging LP collection to CDs before they stop manufacturing styluses for your record player.’
- ‘He went over to the record player and turned it off.’
- ‘At the age of three, he was responsible for operating the record player in the family hotel on the Adriatic island of Krk, and so received his first introduction to music.’
- ‘And I'd listen to Mahalia Jackson on a small record player.’
- ‘The sculptured windows are old, the floor is paved according to the old style, the record player has pop songs of the 1930s and the shelves are lined with books and photographs of old Shanghai.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.