Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who has achieved the best-ever performance, especially in a particular sport.‘the Commonwealth 800 metres record holder’
- ‘She is 4 days into the trip and currently 2 hours 24 mins ahead of the current record holder.’
- ‘Irish record holder Sonia O'Sullivan is among the favourites for the women's race as she bids to repeat her 2002 triumph.’
- ‘If, as looks likely, he succeeds, he will become a world record holder.’
- ‘So, the 100m final did not yield gold for Britain, or the world record holder, or the American champion.’
- ‘Roberts, who is the course record holder, found the warm conditions to his liking as others in the field of 421 starters wilted in the heat.’
- ‘He's the world record holder, the fastest man in history.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.