One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has achieved the best-ever performance, especially in a particular sport.‘the Commonwealth 800 metres record holder’
- ‘So, the 100m final did not yield gold for Britain, or the world record holder, or the American champion.’
- ‘She is 4 days into the trip and currently 2 hours 24 mins ahead of the current record holder.’
- ‘If, as looks likely, he succeeds, he will become a world record holder.’
- ‘Roberts, who is the course record holder, found the warm conditions to his liking as others in the field of 421 starters wilted in the heat.’
- ‘Irish record holder Sonia O'Sullivan is among the favourites for the women's race as she bids to repeat her 2002 triumph.’
- ‘He's the world record holder, the fastest man in history.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.