One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has achieved the best-ever performance, especially in a particular sport.‘the Commonwealth 800 metres record holder’
- ‘So, the 100m final did not yield gold for Britain, or the world record holder, or the American champion.’
- ‘If, as looks likely, he succeeds, he will become a world record holder.’
- ‘He's the world record holder, the fastest man in history.’
- ‘Irish record holder Sonia O'Sullivan is among the favourites for the women's race as she bids to repeat her 2002 triumph.’
- ‘She is 4 days into the trip and currently 2 hours 24 mins ahead of the current record holder.’
- ‘Roberts, who is the course record holder, found the warm conditions to his liking as others in the field of 421 starters wilted in the heat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.