One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Other runners, home long before us, clapped and cheered us on the final stretch as though we were record-breakers.’
- ‘While it doesn't include a figure for 1998, industry-wide profits the year before that were $2 billion - making 1997, 2003 and 2004 all record-breakers.’
- ‘In the past 28 days, 102 earthquakes have been recorded in Greater Manchester but the city is far from being a record-breaker.’
- ‘They make the unlikeliest of record-breakers but these sportswomen are determined to beat inexperience and make the 3,000-mile journey from the Canaries to Barbados faster than any men.’
- ‘This year's Swindon Festival of Literature looks set to be a record-breaker.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.