Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
attributive Relating to or denoting an organism, cell, or genetic material formed by recombination.‘the DNA of these recombinant viruses revealed no signs of instability’
- ‘Homozygous phenotypes of the recombinant lines were analyzed.’
- ‘DNAs were isolated from individuals that were homozygous for recombinant haplotypes.’
- ‘This scheme allowed unequivocal identification of four out of six possible recombinant phenotypes.’
- ‘Backcross males having recombinant X chromosomes were genotyped and scored for fertility.’
- ‘Our ability to detect doubly recombinant chromosomes depends on the genotype of the homolog after fertilization.’
- ‘Overall, we observed 116 recombinant chromosomes in these experiments.’
- ‘The proportion of recombinant plasmids in each sample was then estimated by comparing the two numbers.’
A recombinant organism, cell, or piece of genetic material.
- ‘Fluorescent genes from jellyfish have also been added to organisms in this manner to show which are successful recombinants.’
- ‘All genotypes were checked for Mendelian inheritance and double recombinants.’
- ‘These basidiospores are recombinants containing genetic material from both mating partners.’
- ‘Among these gametes, some will be exact copies of the parental haplotypes while others are recombinants.’
- ‘They concluded that either double crossovers do not occur or recombinants are selected against.’
- ‘Because this region contains no essential genes, haploid recombinants containing this deletion are viable.’
- ‘Previously identified recombinants within a single gene were omitted and only one strain was included from groups of linked infections.’
- ‘First, we scanned each individual chromosome for double recombinants.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.