One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hostel providing temporary accommodation for distressed people such as refugees, the homeless, and those with psychiatric difficulties.
- ‘The family will not be settled in a reception centre, as these facilities are for people whose asylum claims are being processed, and not for people in this family's position who have been granted residence in Germany.’
- ‘The former Magee Barracks has been empty now for nearly four years and is currently used by the Department of Justice as a reception centre for asylum seekers and refugees and by Kildare County Council as a temporary traveller halt.’
- ‘Mr Lyons said the reception centre runs a number of computer, arts and crafts and language classes for adults.’
- ‘A further property - the Devereux Hotel in Rosslare - was purchased to operate as a reception centre but was then sold following ongoing protests and a decrease in asylum numbers at the port.’
- ‘At present, there are around 170 asylum seekers living in the reception centre at the former Devoy Barracks in Kildare town.’
- ‘But first, he would be sent to a reception centre where he would be strip-searched, photographed and have a DNA sample taken.’
- ‘Evacuated residents reported to a reception centre in Watson Lake and were being put up in hotels or at private residences.’
- ‘Survivors and walking wounded would be taken to local authority-run rest centres and survivor reception centres which provide food, medicine and communications facilities.’
- ‘The detention centre in Katajanokka will be acting in connection with the Helsinki reception centre for immigrants.’
- ‘However, it is thought to have occurred near a large reception centre for refugees and asylum seekers in the town.’
- ‘North Lincolnshire councillors and officers were upset that the announcement of a purpose-built reception centre at South Killingholme was made public - without them being consulted.’
- ‘He added that he and all of the residents were happy in the reception centre in Waterford.’
- ‘The first stage in that process is a short stay in the reception center.’
- ‘In prison, custody level is determined at a reception center, and inmates are sent to the appropriate facility based on their need for supervision or perceived degree of dangerousness.’
- ‘Residents last night waited at a reception centre opposite the flats to learn if they will be able to return to their homes.’
- ‘He lived for a while at a refugee reception centre in Cambridgeshire before he was moved to Rotherham last September as part of the Government's dispersal policy.’
- ‘Mrs Agbonlahor and her children have lived at the Clonakilty Lodge asylum seeker reception centre since March 2003.’
- ‘Essex Police said the passengers had been taken into a reception center and would be interviewed.’
- ‘The work could involve assisting in the registration and care of evacuees at an emergency reception centre or answering telephone helplines or log-keeping in the council's emergency or ‘drop in’ centres.’
- ‘On their arrival in distant countries, they were either placed in temporary reception centres or were collected by prearranged guardians.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.