Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The standard form of British English pronunciation, based on educated speech in southern England, widely accepted as a standard elsewhere.
- ‘She speaks in breathless, giggly received pronunciation.’
- ‘The Doctor is a scientist and an intellectual, and a lot of people seem to think you can only be those things if you speak with received pronunciation which, of course, is rubbish.’
- ‘But Himalaya is the received pronunciation, certainly in the UK, so I didn't want to sound as though I was being too clever.’
- ‘Gone is the Doctor's received pronunciation and upper class background.’
- ‘Standard English at that time was British English with received pronunciation.’
- ‘All were more or less informed by the desire to distance Shakespeare in performance from the perceived colonial baggage of received pronunciation, and stage English.’
- ‘Someone commented on my yokel version, which for ages I have thought was the received pronunciation of the word.’
- ‘Clare Francis speaks with the sort of received pronunciation you might expect from a former yachtswoman brought up in the Home Counties.’
- ‘You have to relish the language but you don't force it into received pronunciation because that would kill it.’
- ‘She was still in the midst of the old world of received pronunciation and velvet smoking jackets.’
- ‘It's an observation which could have come straight from the mouth of a terrorist, but because it's uttered in the received pronunciation of Mr Loyn's BBC tones, no one even noticed it until I picked him up on it.’
- ‘We should remember that Gladstone had a strong Merseyside accent, and that received pronunciation is largely an artefact of the broadcast era.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.