One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make a new or wider boring in (the cylinders of an internal combustion engine)‘the engine can be rebored without taking it out of the vehicle’
- ‘This makes it possible to rebore bushings which have been used on the left side and reapply them on the right side, thus prolonging the life of the bearings.’
- ‘You had to rebush the rod if the slack was excessive, or rebore the big end if it was split - all of which you hoped could be deferred until the entire affair had to be dismantled for white-lead testing.’
- ‘Reboring the engine will increase your displacement and the power of the engine.’
- ‘At the same time the tube lines would examine new ways of peak fare pricing, new signalling, reboring tunnels and even building entirely new tubes.’
- ‘When the cylinders of an engine become worn it is necessary to re-bore them.’
- ‘Both Wilson and his gunsmith, Larry Cooper, consulted with John Linebaugh, then had Cliff LaBounty rebore and Dave Adams rechamber the gun to another calibre.’
1An act of reboring an engine's cylinders.‘a rebore and pistons would appear to be the answer’
- ‘Rebores increase the engine displacement.’
- ‘On stripping the engine, it needed a rebore, 4 new pistons with rings and new bearings.’
- ‘Can anyone recommend a reliable shop to do the rebore?’
- 1.1 An engine with rebored cylinders.
- ‘If it's a rebuild rebore, with the stock pistons, a machine shop might make the stock pistons work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.