One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medieval stringed instrument played with a bow, typically having three strings.
- ‘The rebec was played with a bow, probably of wood and horsehair.’
- ‘The moment these records first appeared, pop groups were experimenting with sackbuts, rebecs and crumhorns.’
- ‘Viols, rebecs, citterns, lutes, and wooden flutes help.’
- ‘For example, they did not often gather together with harps and rebecks to celebrate their national glories, or to hymn their national heroes.’
- ‘Traditional Arabic music uses string instruments, such as the rebec, lotar, ud, and kamanja.’
Late Middle English: from French, based on Arabic rabāb.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.