Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Furthest back.‘the rearmost door’
- ‘The rearmost safety position locks the striker, trigger and the bolt, while the center position locks only the striker, allowing the bolt to be worked for loading or unloading.’
- ‘Had the rearmost hoof of the filly been a few inches left or right of where it landed, then Fallon's injuries might have been much more serious and the championship would be effectively over.’
- ‘You can substitute the rearmost two seats with a three seater bench, giving a total of eight seats.’
- ‘The rearmost row of boxes toppled from the back of the truck, crashing onto the road, and Ian glanced behind him as the thin cop shouted in surprise.’
- ‘All but the rearmost portion of the slide was too hot to hold but the frame never got that warm.’
- ‘The centre seats slide, recline or fold and the rearmost ones easily fold into the floor.’
- ‘Expandable sealers are used in critical spots in the pillars and rockers, and balloon weather seals at the rearmost hood edges prevent engine noise from escaping toward the cabin.’
- ‘This is particularly the case for African Americans, whose general economic starting points have been rearmost in our society because of slavery and its long racialist aftermath.’
- ‘They slit the tarpaulins of the rearmost trailer and offload goods.’
- ‘Oscillations of the front of the prime mover and rear of the rearmost trailer were common throughout the tests as shown in Figure 14.’
- ‘The early rifles produced in Russia and in France were originally equipped with a finger spur extending from the rear of the trigger guard to the rearmost portion of the stock wrist.’
- ‘Survival decreases more steeply for rearmost positions due to stochastic factors differentially affecting mortality of subordinate sibs.’
- ‘Those rearmost seats are not really designed for lanky adults with healthy appetites, who would struggle to shoehorn themselves into the allotted space.’
- ‘If you are using the rearmost seats, you just unclip the whole blind from its mountings and put it away.’
- ‘The first corps to contact the enemy engaged him at once while the other corps came into action along the flanks and the rearmost corps remained reserve.’
- ‘Even in the rearmost car, we ended up having to stand in the doorway.’
- ‘He took a seat in the rearmost pew and stared straight up at the graceful geometry of the vaulted ceiling.’
- ‘After reaching the rearmost position, exhale and slowly return your arms to the start position under control.’
- ‘Second row legroom is particularly good and the middle seats will take three adults in comfort, though the rearmost two are best left to the younger set.’
- ‘The middle seat slides forward and folds to gain access to the rearmost seats’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.