One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The control by the ego of the pleasure-seeking activity of the id in order to meet the demands of the external world.
- ‘The theory of imperialism has triumphed over the reality principle.’
- ‘The true wish is to preserve a special, individual, consistent identity that does not have to compromise with the reality principle.’
- ‘They can, therefore, operate according to Freud's reality principle, and defer pleasure in the interests of overall long-term benefits.’
- ‘However therapeutic, poetry does not suffer the reality principle gladly.’
- ‘On many levels there is a reality principle at work that each of us must face.’
- ‘The principle of simulation wins out over the reality principle just as over the principle of pleasure.’
- ‘But to educated people, embracing the reality principle means, above all, following the spirit of science.’
- ‘One of the many fascinating things about the aide's remarks is the reversal of the view that it is the role of political authority (particularly on the right) to impose a reality principle.’
- ‘When we act in order to benefit ourselves in the long-term, we utilize the reality principle, and we rely not on our instinct, but on reason.’
- ‘Representation is, as it were, the reality principle of the image.’
- ‘As the child internalizes and submits to the father's prohibition, it turns from the pleasure to the reality principle.’
- ‘However, Faulkner's wife Julia remains committed to the reality principle, following a strict daily routine of things to do, still turning up for work, wearing business clothes, and showing concern for Faulkner's job.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.