One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meal sold in a pre-cooked form that only requires reheating.
- ‘A few of the better animals would be sold as mutton to halal butchers, the rest would be turned into petfood and ‘manufacturing meat’ for pies, kebabs and ready meals.’
- ‘The new menu will replace reheated ready meals such as ‘chicken smilers’ with a new menu that includes paella, tomato and basil soup with fresh bread, and roast chicken with mashed potatoes and vegetables.’
- ‘We offer meals for the evening and fresh vegetables and poultry, ready meals and desserts.’
- ‘The main ingredients for the ready meals - free-range chicken, outdoor reared pork and lamb and beef raised on organic farmland - come from Yorkshire farms.’
- ‘But it's not just junk food and ready meals that are on trial: chicken, salmon, tuna, swordfish, pasta, rice, eggs and breakfast cereals have all had the finger of suspicion pointed in their direction.’
- ‘Mr and Mrs Roberts have produced and sold a variety of ready meals through the on-site café for many years.’
- ‘The fruit and vegetables contained in processed foods such as ready meals, pasta sauces, soups, and puddings can contribute to the five a day target.’
- ‘Ninety-six per cent of the ready meals we consume are sold under supermarket own-labels, so it is the retailers, more than the manufacturers, who control the market and accrue the profits.’
- ‘The categories included traditional pork sausage, speciality sausage, hot and cold ready to eat pies, bacon, gammon and ready meals.’
- ‘Shoppers are already stocking up on comfort food with sales of ready meals, desserts, soup, tea and coffee as well as hot water bottles soaring.’
- ‘The refit creates a new layout and a ‘quick-stop shop’ with sandwiches, snacks and chilled ready meals.’
- ‘It is hoped the scheme will also offset the threat of foreign imports, which account for 85% to 90% of the beef used in processing ready meals and fast foods in the UK.’
- ‘All they sell is frozen ready meals, but they're prepared fresh each day and the name of the chef is on the packet.’
- ‘This goes into own label ready meals, sandwiches and convenience foods.’
- ‘The spokesman said prawns remained by far the biggest seller, followed by scampi, the Chip Shop battered fish range and ready meals such as Ocean Pie.’
- ‘The foods affected, including soups, sauces and ready meals, have been distributed widely throughout the food chain.’
- ‘Most of us would have just claimed for a sandwich and drink; and scored through our ready meals and steaks and such like.’
- ‘With foreign imports currently accounting for up to 90% of beef used in ready meals and fast foods in the UK, the scheme could offset this threat from overseas competition.’
- ‘They're not content selling potatoes or lamb chops when they can make so much more selling packets of crisps, fizzy drinks and ready meals.’
- ‘Jan will replace up to two meals a day with a choice of ready meals, including shakes, soups and pastas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.