One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meal sold in a pre-cooked form that only requires reheating.
- ‘The fruit and vegetables contained in processed foods such as ready meals, pasta sauces, soups, and puddings can contribute to the five a day target.’
- ‘They're not content selling potatoes or lamb chops when they can make so much more selling packets of crisps, fizzy drinks and ready meals.’
- ‘Shoppers are already stocking up on comfort food with sales of ready meals, desserts, soup, tea and coffee as well as hot water bottles soaring.’
- ‘Jan will replace up to two meals a day with a choice of ready meals, including shakes, soups and pastas.’
- ‘Most of us would have just claimed for a sandwich and drink; and scored through our ready meals and steaks and such like.’
- ‘With foreign imports currently accounting for up to 90% of beef used in ready meals and fast foods in the UK, the scheme could offset this threat from overseas competition.’
- ‘The spokesman said prawns remained by far the biggest seller, followed by scampi, the Chip Shop battered fish range and ready meals such as Ocean Pie.’
- ‘The refit creates a new layout and a ‘quick-stop shop’ with sandwiches, snacks and chilled ready meals.’
- ‘Ninety-six per cent of the ready meals we consume are sold under supermarket own-labels, so it is the retailers, more than the manufacturers, who control the market and accrue the profits.’
- ‘All they sell is frozen ready meals, but they're prepared fresh each day and the name of the chef is on the packet.’
- ‘A few of the better animals would be sold as mutton to halal butchers, the rest would be turned into petfood and ‘manufacturing meat’ for pies, kebabs and ready meals.’
- ‘But it's not just junk food and ready meals that are on trial: chicken, salmon, tuna, swordfish, pasta, rice, eggs and breakfast cereals have all had the finger of suspicion pointed in their direction.’
- ‘This goes into own label ready meals, sandwiches and convenience foods.’
- ‘Mr and Mrs Roberts have produced and sold a variety of ready meals through the on-site café for many years.’
- ‘The foods affected, including soups, sauces and ready meals, have been distributed widely throughout the food chain.’
- ‘The categories included traditional pork sausage, speciality sausage, hot and cold ready to eat pies, bacon, gammon and ready meals.’
- ‘The main ingredients for the ready meals - free-range chicken, outdoor reared pork and lamb and beef raised on organic farmland - come from Yorkshire farms.’
- ‘We offer meals for the evening and fresh vegetables and poultry, ready meals and desserts.’
- ‘It is hoped the scheme will also offset the threat of foreign imports, which account for 85% to 90% of the beef used in processing ready meals and fast foods in the UK.’
- ‘The new menu will replace reheated ready meals such as ‘chicken smilers’ with a new menu that includes paella, tomato and basil soup with fresh bread, and roast chicken with mashed potatoes and vegetables.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.