Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A meal sold in a pre-cooked form that only requires reheating.
- ‘Ninety-six per cent of the ready meals we consume are sold under supermarket own-labels, so it is the retailers, more than the manufacturers, who control the market and accrue the profits.’
- ‘The spokesman said prawns remained by far the biggest seller, followed by scampi, the Chip Shop battered fish range and ready meals such as Ocean Pie.’
- ‘The new menu will replace reheated ready meals such as ‘chicken smilers’ with a new menu that includes paella, tomato and basil soup with fresh bread, and roast chicken with mashed potatoes and vegetables.’
- ‘They're not content selling potatoes or lamb chops when they can make so much more selling packets of crisps, fizzy drinks and ready meals.’
- ‘A few of the better animals would be sold as mutton to halal butchers, the rest would be turned into petfood and ‘manufacturing meat’ for pies, kebabs and ready meals.’
- ‘The fruit and vegetables contained in processed foods such as ready meals, pasta sauces, soups, and puddings can contribute to the five a day target.’
- ‘Mr and Mrs Roberts have produced and sold a variety of ready meals through the on-site café for many years.’
- ‘The refit creates a new layout and a ‘quick-stop shop’ with sandwiches, snacks and chilled ready meals.’
- ‘All they sell is frozen ready meals, but they're prepared fresh each day and the name of the chef is on the packet.’
- ‘Jan will replace up to two meals a day with a choice of ready meals, including shakes, soups and pastas.’
- ‘We offer meals for the evening and fresh vegetables and poultry, ready meals and desserts.’
- ‘With foreign imports currently accounting for up to 90% of beef used in ready meals and fast foods in the UK, the scheme could offset this threat from overseas competition.’
- ‘Most of us would have just claimed for a sandwich and drink; and scored through our ready meals and steaks and such like.’
- ‘The foods affected, including soups, sauces and ready meals, have been distributed widely throughout the food chain.’
- ‘But it's not just junk food and ready meals that are on trial: chicken, salmon, tuna, swordfish, pasta, rice, eggs and breakfast cereals have all had the finger of suspicion pointed in their direction.’
- ‘The main ingredients for the ready meals - free-range chicken, outdoor reared pork and lamb and beef raised on organic farmland - come from Yorkshire farms.’
- ‘The categories included traditional pork sausage, speciality sausage, hot and cold ready to eat pies, bacon, gammon and ready meals.’
- ‘It is hoped the scheme will also offset the threat of foreign imports, which account for 85% to 90% of the beef used in processing ready meals and fast foods in the UK.’
- ‘Shoppers are already stocking up on comfort food with sales of ready meals, desserts, soup, tea and coffee as well as hot water bottles soaring.’
- ‘This goes into own label ready meals, sandwiches and convenience foods.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.