Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The grouping of three successive bases in a sequence of DNA that constitutes the codons for the amino acids encoded by the DNA.
- ‘The open reading frames of all gene sequences identified were interrupted by introns.’
- ‘Analysis of the nucleotide sequence identifies an open reading frame of 1882 codons, interrupted by one putative intron.’
- ‘The leader transcript contains an open reading frame which encodes a polypeptide of 44 amino acids.’
- ‘Proteins encoded in overlapping reading frames from the same nucleotides have different levels of amino acid variation.’
- ‘The alignment exhibited an insertion of 11 consecutive codons after the first 2 codons in the reading frame of the S gene.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.