Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The quality of being reactive or the degree to which something is reactive.‘the chemical and biological reactivity of non-target organisms’in combination ‘cross-reactivity between the hormones of human and bovine origin’
responsiveness, sensitivenessView synonyms
- ‘Acid reflux has been associated with bronchospasm, heightened bronchial reactivity, and airway edema.’
- ‘In another asthma model, airway reactivity and lung inflammation were enhanced in the lung.’
- ‘Our results suggest that airway wall thickening attenuates airway reactivity in patients with asthma.’
- ‘The most significant component in array validation is the comprehensive evaluation of cross reactivity.’
- ‘The good news is that the change of a single amino acid in the major peanut allergen can reduce reactivity.’
- ‘Interpretation relies on the presence or absence of reactivity to the specific antigens.’
- ‘Unfortunately, no postexposure measurement of bronchial reactivity was performed.’
- ‘Basically, it's a lot of airway reactivity and a lot of inflammation.’
- ‘Thus, one manifestation of the lack of differentiation of self is emotional reactivity.’
- ‘Pituitary adenomas exhibited intense diffuse cytoplasmic reactivity.’
- ‘There was no evidence that the magnitude of the effect on allergen skin test reactivity differed between the three parasites.’
- ‘Finally, the qualitative data provide additional support for the notion of cue reactivity.’
- ‘In particular, we examined whether pulmonary function and nonspecific airway reactivity differed depending on atopic status.’
- ‘We measured the tracheal smooth muscle reactivity to methacholine.’
- ‘The chemical reactivity of titanium to the halides is similarly exhibited by its combination with their acids.’
- ‘Skin test reactivity was also a significant predictor of maximal lung growth in those with respiratory symptoms regardless of sex.’
- ‘Once a worker is sensitized to an occupational agent, bronchial reactivity usually persists.’
- ‘The effect of skin test reactivity remained significant for all symptoms except exercise-induced wheeze.’
- ‘In its simplest form, it provides qualitative explanations for the formation and reactivity of molecules.’
- ‘For the women who scored low on extraversion, no brain reactivity to positive stimuli was found.’
- 1.1 The extent to which a nuclear reactor deviates from a steady state.‘simulations predict that high rates of reactivity addition to the core could occur’
- ‘Because of the instability, an RBMK reactor that loses its coolant can under certain circumstances increase in reactivity and run progressively faster and hotter rather than shut itself down.’
- ‘The temperature changes in turn modify the reactivity through different nuclear physics processes, which has a well defined influence on the number of neutrons ready to induce fission.’
- ‘The spectrum of nuclear reactivity, including intensity and extent, was graded for all categories as shown in Tables 2 and 3.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.