One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The length of time taken for a person or system to respond to a given stimulus or event.‘drivers' reaction times were 30 per cent slower when talking on a mobile phone’‘the reaction time for the police has increased due to improved patrol techniques’
- ‘We wanted to increase our reaction times to fashion trends.’
- ‘A person whose reaction time is impaired by alcohol would take an indeterminable time longer to react.’
- ‘Your reaction time for making decisions at blackjack while in a casino is much shorter than the time you have at home while practising.’
- ‘It was agreed between the parties that an appropriate reaction time was one second.’
- ‘The study compares the reaction times of drivers who are talking on a mobile phone.’
- ‘Driving while sleep-deprived slows your reaction time.’
- ‘His reaction time was probably slower than average.’
- ‘With a normal reaction time of 1.5 seconds the total stopping distance is 110 meters.’
- ‘Enterprises with fast reaction times can use that advantage to capitalize on opportunities faster than their competitors.’
- ‘Survival in these games depends on the swift reaction time by the players.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.