One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be heard or heard about by someone.‘the sound of running feet reached my ears’‘one of those stories reached our ears’
- ‘Individually we can take steps to generally control what sounds reach our ears in the privacy of our home.’
- ‘They fell out on Vietnam, and Johnson retailed nasty gibes that he knew would reach Lippmann's ears.’
- ‘The latest rumour to reach Mr Kyaw's ears, however, was an encouraging one.’
- ‘Inside, the sound of a symphony warming up reached her ears.’
- ‘This cheery news reached my ears via the steam-driven radio the other night.’
- ‘The next sound that reached his ears shocked him even more.’
- ‘Some of the rumors would reach my children's ears and upset them.’
- ‘Exhausted out of reason and numb with pain, Rose pushed and the most beautiful sound in the world reached her ears.’
- ‘A voice from the shadows of the room reached my ears.’
- ‘Spektor does, however, constantly employ a trick I consider dirty: She reaches her audience's ears and heartstrings through feigned naivete.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.