One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be heard or heard about by someone.‘the sound of running feet reached my ears’‘one of those stories reached our ears’
- ‘A voice from the shadows of the room reached my ears.’
- ‘The latest rumour to reach Mr Kyaw's ears, however, was an encouraging one.’
- ‘They fell out on Vietnam, and Johnson retailed nasty gibes that he knew would reach Lippmann's ears.’
- ‘Inside, the sound of a symphony warming up reached her ears.’
- ‘This cheery news reached my ears via the steam-driven radio the other night.’
- ‘Exhausted out of reason and numb with pain, Rose pushed and the most beautiful sound in the world reached her ears.’
- ‘Some of the rumors would reach my children's ears and upset them.’
- ‘The next sound that reached his ears shocked him even more.’
- ‘Spektor does, however, constantly employ a trick I consider dirty: She reaches her audience's ears and heartstrings through feigned naivete.’
- ‘Individually we can take steps to generally control what sounds reach our ears in the privacy of our home.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.