One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A metal wire or ribbon with sharp edges or studded with small sharp blades, used as a barrier to deter intruders.
- ‘Basic tools and pure muscle were used to construct everything from security towers to protective barriers fronted by razor wire.’
- ‘It's a mix of brick buildings and plastic-looking demountables, surrounded by cyclone fences and rolls of razor wire.’
- ‘Above it, coils of copper wire represent razor wire and tiny pearls serve as handles on the cell doors.’
- ‘There were rows of razor wire, electric fences, guard towers and searchlights.’
- ‘The prisoners, in their bright orange jumpsuits, are guarded by a maze of chain-link fences, razor wire and towers.’
- ‘Though it was practically in the middle of the desert, it was surrounded by electric fencing and razor wire.’
- ‘The extra measures include increasing the height of existing fences and adding a new inner layer of razor wire.’
- ‘As helicopters buzzed overhead, army engineers erected concrete barriers and razor wire fences in the fields off Drumcree Road.’
- ‘Sprawling refineries hide behind chain-link fences topped with razor wire and guards at the exits.’
- ‘They also move about unrestrained by razor wire, searchlights, locks or electric fences.’
- ‘This is not the case when there are refugees on boats, or locked behind high fences topped with razor wire.’
- ‘Now work on the building has resumed, and the site is surrounded by a ten-foot high fence, topped with razor wire.’
- ‘Meanwhile, airport operator Air Pegasus has set up a perimeter fence topped with razor wire.’
- ‘The razor wire was reinstated and the gates were locked.’
- ‘Roll upon roll of razor wire stretched for miles in an unbroken barrier that seemed to reach into eternity.’
- ‘Two rows of razor wire were also installed along the perimeter fences of the City Council and City Hall sites.’
- ‘There's no fence, no razor wire, no watchtowers, no guard station.’
- ‘Police with guns and batons lined the way, together with armoured vehicles, razor wire and concrete barricades.’
- ‘Soldiers put in place barbed wire and razor wire, dug up fields next to the barrier, and widened a water-filled ditch.’
- ‘They should not be behind barbed wire or razor wire.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.