One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in science fiction) a gun causing injury or damage by the emission of rays.
- ‘We suspect one of the weapons being used in the cultural war is a secret ray gun that induces forgetfulness and lethargy.’
- ‘Clara jabbed Cane with the butt of her weapon several times before he realized what she wanted and drew his ray gun.’
- ‘The robot behind the counter might have a ray gun!’
- ‘You can't have someone zapping aliens with a ray gun one minute, and dealing with genuine stories the next.’
- ‘The machine itself looks like a big ray gun, similar to the one in Goldfinger which gave James Bond a fright.’
- ‘It may not be a plasma ray gun, but it will still put a hole in that nasty, slimy, green head of yours.’
- ‘He carefully chose a direction and fired the ray gun repeatedly.’
- ‘Kitt, a tall teen who was possibly about eighteen or nineteen, looked up from what appeared to be a ray gun she was tinkering with.’
- ‘Gordon complicates this situation by insisting that Kelvin's dead wife is an alien and should be shot with her ray gun.’
- ‘He took out his ray gun and fired a laser beam at the guard.’
- ‘‘Queen Mandy, we did enough damage for your ray gun to destroy the enemy device,’ I said.’
- ‘It reminded me of what a ray gun would look like except this had a chord and several switches.’
- ‘The assortment also includes a space-age ray gun and other imaginary hardware for orbital combat.’
- ‘My mother didn't seem to think it was a problem, however, and had happily handed me the phone despite the fact I had tried to beam her with my ray gun.’
- ‘As one review put it ‘this book couldn't get any cooler, not even if it came with a ray gun.’’
- ‘Bill becomes Shirleen, complete with a shocking blond wig, and Jack turns into a scary sci-fi cowboy waving a plastic ray gun.’
- ‘Ohhhhh, how I would love to blow you away right now with my plasma ray gun,’
- ‘You were a beautiful but desperate Polish philologist carrying a large ray gun through the city streets.’
- ‘Duke suddenly turned the plasma ray gun on Applewhite, flicked a switch, and fired.’
- ‘The young genius pointed the modified ray gun at the Martian force field and fired…’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.