One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Talk rapidly and at length, especially in an inane way.‘she found herself rattling on about unhappiness and happiness’
prattle, babble, chatter, gabble, prate, go on, run on, jabber, jibber-jabber, gibber, blether, blather, blither, ramble, maunder, drivel, twitterView synonyms
- ‘While Pataki rattled on endlessly about his shampoo, Whitman became very vocal about missing The Weekly Standard.’
- ‘‘I love your look today Lori,’ Tiffany by now was clenching her fists as Dale began rattling on.’
- ‘She sighed and looked up at her teacher, now rattling on about an assignment on local history.’
- ‘Ask him about the weather or the federal budget or the price of kumquats, and 15 minutes later he'll still be rattling on and on and on.’
- ‘Mark and Scott had hit it off spectacularly, rattling on about soccer, airplanes, their favorite movies and t.v. shows, and the like.’
- ‘Devon couldn't resist rattling on about how good Jessica had been.’
- ‘Bland interrupts his thoughts momentarily, but while she rattles on boringly, his mind again drifts back to memories of Caddy.’
- ‘Worse still, I trapped myself in introducing them by rattling on without actually thinking of what to say.’
- ‘Here I am rattling on about how I want to go and ‘relieve’ my tension with some buff guy, and you're having a crisis.’
- ‘Kay was rattling on about some television show but Miki wasn't paying attention.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.