Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dog or other animal that is used for hunting rats.
- ‘Its original purpose was as a ratter, working very hard to to remove rodents from places such as kitchens and stables.’
- ‘You should keep in mind the Carin was bred to be a ratter.’
- ‘Long-tailed weasels are good mousers and ratters, so farmers do not mind having weasels around their farms because they eliminate these pests.’
- ‘But when given a chance the Airedale can still be an expert ratter and can also be trained to the gun.’
- ‘But young Pickles turned out to be an excellent ratter and was a favourite amongst our neighbours.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.