One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of signing or giving formal consent to a treaty, contract, or agreement, making it officially valid.‘ratification of the treaty raised problems in several member states’
- ‘Reconciliation cannot wait for the ratification of a comprehensive peace treaty.’
- ‘The treaty requires ratification by referenda in a number of EU states.’
- ‘On February 16, 2005, 140 nations celebrated the ratification of the Kyoto Protocol.’
- ‘They enter into force upon ratification by Parliament.’
- ‘Ratification of the agreement by pilots will require several weeks.’
- ‘The ratification of the treaty is the only way these countries can accede to the EU.’
- ‘The Convention will be in force after ratification by 30 governments.’
- ‘No time limit had been placed on ratification of these initial amendments by Congress.’
- ‘The final ratification was lodged with the Council in October 1997.’
- ‘The administration did not intend to submit the treaty for Senate ratification.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.