One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A ceremonial procession centred around a chariot carrying a holy image, specifically the procession of Jagannatha.
procession, march, cavalcade, motorcade, carcade, cortège, ceremony, spectacle, display, pageant, concours, file, train, columnView synonyms
- ‘It was under the leadership of Advani in 1989 that the controversial rath yatra (motorised chariot journey) for the construction of a Ram temple in Ayodhya replacing the historic Babri Masjid was taken out.’
- ‘Put this question across and most people will say that it is known both for its architectural beauty and the annual rath yatra, which is witnessed by thousands of people.’
- ‘Jagannath rath yatra (Jagannath chariot march) scheduled from July 12, however, would not be cancelled.’
- ‘Five rath yatras [chariot processions] were launched which criss-crossed the entire state, raising Hindu passions against the Muslims in the name of ‘liberating’ the dargah from Muslim control.’
- ‘Advani still compares the rath yatra to Mahatma Gandhi's Dandi salt march.’
- 1.1 (in India) a political demonstration consisting of a convoy of motor vehicles travelling over a long distance.‘the party warned against a bid to stop the rath yatra’
- ‘Vasundhara Raje herself pointed out during her rath yatra that people could not eat paper.’
- ‘Maybe he'll take out a rath yatra to rally support for the troops.’
- ‘Finally, Vajpayee's differences over the 1990 rath yatra did not deter him from the real issues at stake.’
- ‘Those who are following a communal agenda and are trying to influence the people through their rath yatras are sadly mistaken.’
- ‘I have publicly condemned our politicians' rath yatras and their pathetic lack of acknowledgment of any responsibility for the destruction of the Babri Masjid, for the same reason.’
Via Hindi from Sanskrit ratha ‘chariot’ + yātrā from yā ‘to travel’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.