One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A ceremonial procession centred around a chariot carrying a holy image, specifically the procession of Jagannatha.
procession, march, cavalcade, motorcade, carcade, cortège, ceremony, spectacle, display, pageant, concours, file, train, columnView synonyms
- ‘Jagannath rath yatra (Jagannath chariot march) scheduled from July 12, however, would not be cancelled.’
- ‘Put this question across and most people will say that it is known both for its architectural beauty and the annual rath yatra, which is witnessed by thousands of people.’
- ‘It was under the leadership of Advani in 1989 that the controversial rath yatra (motorised chariot journey) for the construction of a Ram temple in Ayodhya replacing the historic Babri Masjid was taken out.’
- ‘Five rath yatras [chariot processions] were launched which criss-crossed the entire state, raising Hindu passions against the Muslims in the name of ‘liberating’ the dargah from Muslim control.’
- ‘Advani still compares the rath yatra to Mahatma Gandhi's Dandi salt march.’
- 1.1 (in India) a political demonstration consisting of a convoy of motor vehicles travelling over a long distance.‘the party warned against a bid to stop the rath yatra’
- ‘Those who are following a communal agenda and are trying to influence the people through their rath yatras are sadly mistaken.’
- ‘Vasundhara Raje herself pointed out during her rath yatra that people could not eat paper.’
- ‘Finally, Vajpayee's differences over the 1990 rath yatra did not deter him from the real issues at stake.’
- ‘I have publicly condemned our politicians' rath yatras and their pathetic lack of acknowledgment of any responsibility for the destruction of the Babri Masjid, for the same reason.’
- ‘Maybe he'll take out a rath yatra to rally support for the troops.’
Via Hindi from Sanskrit ratha ‘chariot’ + yātrā from yā ‘to travel’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.