Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
noun & adjectiveinformal
- short for Rastafarian
- ‘The Rastas then were a group of street preachers who taught the Bible and smoked marijuana.’
- ‘The basic belief of a Rasta is to uphold the truth and defend good over evil, to do the will of God here on earth.’
- ‘The British Virgin Islands in 1980 banned Rastas from setting foot in the territory.’
- ‘There are about 800,000 Rastas and Rasta supporters in the United States, about 80,000 of whom live in Brooklyn.’
- ‘Bob Marley was a devout Rasta, as many of his songs revealed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.