Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Hoarse or harsh-sounding.‘his voice was raspy from days of non-stop campaigning’‘a persistent raspy cough’
- ‘Guitars weep and raspy throats belt out blues from their guts as people from all walks of life swarm the tiny dancefloor.’
- ‘As an actor gets older, his voice might be deemed too raspy for the part.’
- ‘Her voice - a bit raspy at the best of times - sounds downright ragged and weary here.’
- ‘In her raspy and oh-so-sexy voice she taught me Spanish words and shared stories that spoke of her passion for dance.’
- ‘No more labored breathing and no more post-nasal drip and raspy throat the next morning.’
- ‘His flow is rough, but not raspy, and as rapid fire as one can get without sputtering gibberish.’
- ‘The tall grasses at the edge of the firelight made a raspy sound in the breeze.’
- ‘Woke up this morning with a raspy sore throat, so retreated to the study with hot vitamin C, the radio and my photos.’
- ‘His voice was raspy; his throat dry like sandpaper.’
- ‘Her vocal skills are strong and sweet, her voice raspy and high, but full of passion.’
- ‘The women were all in sequins and diamonds and they smoked cigarettes and had raspy voices and husky laughs.’
- ‘The tubes clipped to his nostrils gave his raspy voice a nasal quality as if he suffered from a cold, and his mouth was dry.’
- ‘Then it's Marcus, who is seven, chiming in with his own cough - a raspy hack that can go on for hours.’
- ‘Quick syncopated rhythms and Tweet's raspy vocals are a winning formula - a certified club classic, no doubt.’
- ‘The voice, deep and raspy, from too many cigarettes, was very appealing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.