One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of having a hoarse or harsh sound.‘she tried to clear the raspiness from her voice’
- ‘It is a wonderfully evocative burr, cultured throughout but with the faintest smidgens of rakish raspiness around the edges.’
- ‘Health conditions like acid reflux common at this age can really affect the voice causing a raspiness and change in pitch.’
- ‘Listening to the slow percolation of the organs and the smoky raspiness of his vocals on his classic tracks, you can hear the sound of true inspiration.’
- ‘Voicing Yosemite Sam was rough on the throat because of Sam's sheer volume and raspiness.’
- ‘The lead singer has developed a slight raspiness to his usually clean vocals.’
- ‘The long greasy blond locks in his face, the raspiness to his voice and his stage presence all scream Cobain in a surreal, time-travel way.’
- ‘The vocals sounded great and picked up all the raspiness and highs in her voice.’
- ‘He has an appealing voice - slightly breathy, with just the right amount of raspiness.’
- ‘She knocks out the tunes with a powerful vibrato that would occasionally adopt a raspiness á la Louis Armstrong.’
- ‘Persistent stuttering and vocal-quality problems such as hoarseness, breathiness, or raspiness may require a medical evaluation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.