[mass noun] A dish of melted and seasoned cheese on toast, sometimes with other ingredients.
- ‘Make sure you try the smoked haddock rarebit with creamed leeks and smoked bacon.’
- ‘Here, they are matched with a smoked haddock rarebit for an ultra-tasty dish.’
- ‘Meanwhile, to make the rarebit, very gently melt the cheese with the milk and stout in a heavy-based pan.’
- ‘Unfortunately, there are thousands of recipes for rarebit.’
- ‘If you're preparing Welsh rarebit, for example, use a strong-tasting, mature cheese rather than a mild variety.’
Late 18th century: alteration of rabbit in Welsh rabbit; the reason for the use of the term rabbit is unknown.